Requests and suggestions regarding widescreen fix

Discussion Forum for Jaymod
Burneddi
Server n00b

Requests and suggestions regarding widescreen fix

Post by Burneddi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

Hi there.
Having played ET since 2007 with a widescreen monitor I've grown highly accustomed to the stretched HUD when using it.
I've played a wide variety of mods, practically all of them I'd say. They've all had the same bug present in them. It never bothered me.
Now with this new version of Jaymod, this bug has finally, after eight years, been fixed. Which, one would think, is great.
However, I don't think it's really great at all. As said, I have played and still play a wide variety of mods. Jaymod is not the only one I play. However, it's the only one with this fix in it.
From this arises a funny problem: I simply cannot play Jaymod any more. I've grown so accustomed to the old, stretched-out, large HUD that I got that a part-time transition to a "fixed" one is unfortunately out of the question for me. I can't deal with having the HUD scale vary so much between mods, so I have to make a choice between all the rest and Jaymod, and that doesn't turn out well for our favourite fun mod here.

So, the point of this thread: Make the fix optional, like ETPub's gun FOV scaling is. Just please, a pretty please with sugar and whipped cream on top. It, like the ETPub fovfix, just causes so much eyecancer for me and I'm sure for many others too. It's funny how a fixed bug can turn out more trouble than it was when it wasn't fixed, at least for me. Just a simple yes/no option in the Display options will suffice. I couldn't find one there.

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Re: Requests and suggestions regarding widescreen fix

Post by Dragon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Burneddi wrote:Jaymod is not the only one I play. However, it's the only one with this fix in it.
NQ 1.3.0 has this feature too, but we're still waiting for a release. I'm sure that the rest of the mods will get the feature too after the NQ 1.3.0 is released, so don't worry, every mod will get it faster or slower ;), ETPub too.
Burneddi wrote:From this arises a funny problem: I simply cannot play Jaymod any more. I've grown so accustomed to the old, stretched-out, large HUD that I got that a part-time transition to a "fixed" one is unfortunately out of the question for me. I can't deal with having the HUD scale vary so much between mods, so I have to make a choice between all the rest and Jaymod, and that doesn't turn out well for our favourite fun mod here.
And you cannot play the Jaymod anymore only because of the HUD you don't like? It's ridiculous for me...
Burneddi wrote:Make the fix optional, like ETPub's gun FOV scaling is. Just please, a pretty please with sugar and whipped cream on top.
Making bugfix optional is just funny...

Are you serious with your post, my friend?

Burneddi
Server n00b

Post by Burneddi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Dragon wrote:Are you serious with your post, my friend?
Of course I am.
Look, just compare the whole thing to the gun FOV scale fix in ETPub. Some people (me included) can't deal with that either after having played multiple years with a stretched gun caused by a higher field of vision.
There's a certain point where a bug stops being a bug and starts being a feature. For me, this point has been passed ages ago.

Or if you simply can't bring yourselves to making this fix optional, at least add more spacing to the new hud. At the moment it's all cramped up to the corners and there's a lot of wasted space. I have to move my eyes a lot more to see my ammo or health, for example, than with the stretched HUD.

jaybird
Jaymod Developer

Post by jaybird » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:18 am

Moving things to the edge is completely the point. You don't want the center of your screen cluttered up with crap. I'm sorry, I won't be re-enabling a bug. I have another idea though. What if your ammo and health were part of your crosshair?

Burneddi
Server n00b

Post by Burneddi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 am

jaybird wrote:I have another idea though. What if your ammo and health were part of your crosshair?
You don't want the center of you screen cluttered up with crap.
:roll:

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:25 pm

jaybird wrote:Moving things to the edge is completely the point. You don't want the center of your screen cluttered up with crap. I'm sorry, I won't be re-enabling a bug. I have another idea though. What if your ammo and health were part of your crosshair?
Hm, maybe a good idea could be adding more alternate HUDs to the mod? So everyone will be happy? This is a great feature of silEnT mod (new mod based on ETPub).

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:02 am

Make HUDs based on LUA :O

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:01 pm

I have the exact opposite problem. I have been playing with the widescreen fix for two months now, and when I go to a non-fixed server it looks really bad to me on my nice big widescreen monitor.

I was on a Silent mod server last night and it just looked too distorted (it wasn't the mod lol). Jay 2.1.7 servers look wrong now too. The compass was an oval and everything is stretched sideways. Now I'm spoiled.

unforgiven
Server n00b

Post by unforgiven » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:24 am

well i think burneddi complains about this ,cause he only plays cover op,and i think this has something to do with your sniping,right?