EvenBalance PB support for ET ended (and consequences)

Discussion Forum for Jaymod
Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Re: EvenBalance PB support for ET ended (and consequences)

Post by Pedro-NF » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 am

The [>NF<] ETKEY Generator v1.01 may be downloaded from the [>NF<] Server's site at:

http://www.noobsforever.net

Feel free to offer the program on your sites and to distribute it at will, but do not link directly to the file on my server's site because the path and the file name will certainly change in the future.
Last edited by Pedro-NF on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muppetuk
Server n00b

Post by muppetuk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:09 pm

**DRC** have made an ETkey maker

Download here

Its been tested on most mods and works fine

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:26 pm

If you need to update PB from any version to the latest version released for ET, download the file with the updaters for all OS's from one of my sites below and copy the pb folder contained in it over the pb folder in the game's installation directory. The updates and the PB services installation will happen automatically the first time you connect to a PB enabled server:

http://www.noobsforever.net

http://en.portaldosgames.com

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:10 am

OK, these websites to get a new etkey are great, but how do we get new players there? Most won't go to all this trouble if they install the game and click on a random server in the master list. They will get the "Sorry you have an invalid GUID..." message a few times and then give up and play something else. They won't even know what is going on unless they care to google the situation. They don't read the ET forums, most are just trying out a game they heard about from a friend, or they googled "free games" and saw ET.

Without new players this game will finally die, maybe that's what the corporate world wants.

I thought it would be helpful to make a "GET ETKEY HERE" button for a distributed server menu, but then I realized that without the etkey they aren't even going to connect to get a menu in the first place. I tried it out and of course it doesn't work because it doesn't get installed. It's easy to make the button, but if they don't get the menu then they don't even know what they are missing and how to find it.

Anyway, Jaymod needs some kind of patch so we can send new players to a website to get an etkey.

Thanks for reading.

Sippenhaft
Arty Whore

Post by Sippenhaft » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:23 am

Many clans/coders etc are working on just that.

panthro
Server n00b

Post by panthro » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 am

well,
I'll turn off the PB from our server, the only question is, is there any way to control client cvars without PB, say cl_timenudge, cl_maxpackets, and several other?
Thank you.

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 pm

phantasm wrote:OK, these websites to get a new etkey are great, but how do we get new players there?
My server will show a message window when players disconnect telling them to go to the server's site if they need a game key or to update PunkBuster.

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:54 pm

panthro wrote:well,
I'll turn off the PB from our server, the only question is, is there any way to control client cvars without PB, say cl_timenudge, cl_maxpackets, and several other?
There is no way to control any cvars in 'official' Jaymod... But you can use RedSector's package with working forcecvar feature :)

hellreturn
Spawn Camper

Post by hellreturn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 am

Dragon wrote:
panthro wrote:well,
There is no way to control any cvars in 'official' Jaymod... But you can use RedSector's package with working forcecvar feature :)
That comes with crashes or at least I get that.

May be Jaybird needs to man up and invite someone who is willing to help with Jaymod or he needs to start adding new features.

Major issues with Jaymod:

1. Security flaw through which you can crash the server.
2. Ban the player without GUID and it bans other player too.
3. Jaymod code to get MAC address is buggy and many times you don't get MAC or get all zeros.
4. Since PB gone and there is no LUA or sv_cvar support in jaymod, it's all cheat fest if you ask me.
5. Crash with omni bots.

May be some day Jaybird will realize that the nice mod which he created is giving lot of headaches to the admins because of various bugs and missing features and he will start updating it with new features. I just hope update comes fast rather then months or years.

Redsector did good job in helping admins against security exploits and fixing few jaymod bugs and adding new features like custom commands.

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:29 pm

hellreturn wrote:1. Security flaw through which you can crash the server.
I'm not quite sure what kind of flaw you are talking about, but the 'big' one I know is easily fixed.
The one that comes with Palehook, I think.
hellreturn wrote:2. Ban the player without GUID and it bans other player too.
I have never experienced that, I thought it'd only happen with MACs.
hellreturn wrote:3. Jaymod code to get MAC address is buggy and many times you don't get MAC or get all zeros.
That should be fixed with the next update in case Jaybird included the code snippet I sent him.
hellreturn wrote:4. Since PB gone and there is no LUA or sv_cvar support in jaymod, it's all cheat fest if you ask me.
sv_cvar was on his list, if I am not mistaken. Should come with next update.
hellreturn wrote:5. Crash with omni bots.
I still have no idea what those crashes you experience might be caused by. Has anyone been able to reproduce your case?

hellreturn
Spawn Camper

Post by hellreturn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Ligustah wrote:
hellreturn wrote:1. Security flaw through which you can crash the server.
I'm not quite sure what kind of flaw you are talking about, but the 'big' one I know is easily fixed.
The one that comes with Palehook, I think.

I actually told him and send him proof 2x times of how it's being done. Been months on it. I just firewall banned half of finland because of it.

hellreturn wrote:2. Ban the player without GUID and it bans other player too.
I have never experienced that, I thought it'd only happen with MACs.

Happens with MAC and happened with GUID too since jaymod enforces ban on all 3 i.e. GUID, IP and MAC. May be one time bug? We never had no GUID players before but since no PB it happens often. I wish there would be command called !banip just to ban IP or IP range.
hellreturn wrote:3. Jaymod code to get MAC address is buggy and many times you don't get MAC or get all zeros.
That should be fixed with the next update in case Jaybird included the code snippet I sent him.

I really hope he does.
hellreturn wrote:4. Since PB gone and there is no LUA or sv_cvar support in jaymod, it's all cheat fest if you ask me.
sv_cvar was on his list, if I am not mistaken. Should come with next update.

I really hope he does.
hellreturn wrote:5. Crash with omni bots.
I still have no idea what those crashes you experience might be caused by. Has anyone been able to reproduce your case?
Off course, omni bot team was. They asked for debug build but Jaybird never provided one :( I was at least expecting he will help omni bot team so that they can find error and fix it. By trial and error, we where able to resolve it.

I also hope new build will include auto move afk's to spec and no kick like ETPub till server full.

He said sv_cvar is complete in April. I would definitely update my server just for that!
http://jaymod.clanfu.org/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=9458

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 pm

OK, back on topic.

Here is a link to a pk3 that will tell your new players where to get an etkey:

http://wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=4381

Thanks to Schnoog for making this and uploading it for everyone.

hellreturn
Spawn Camper

Post by hellreturn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:47 pm

phantasm wrote:OK, back on topic.

Here is a link to a pk3 that will tell your new players where to get an etkey:

http://wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=4381

Thanks to Schnoog for making this and uploading it for everyone.
Off course you would get etkey from that place but most of the admins don't think this:

If player has no etkey then it's mostly new install. How would someone re install services or PB update without no support from PB? He will just find other server to play on.

End result: disable PB if you don't want to loose players and restart it on FLY with cheat scans to bust cheaters.

Best thing would be to have mod based GUID and use that.

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm

I know, I know. It doesn't fix the other 20 problems.

It's just a way to enable someone to at least get on the server and play.

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm sorry but this fix I linked to isn't working for me. It isn't downloading the update from my jaymod server to my computer when I removed my etkey and tried to connect. I saw it on another ET developer forum, and the guy who posted it said it worked.

Maybe it will work for you, it's worth trying anyway.

Right now it would be great if Jaymod had enabled lua, so we could just make a script.

If anyone else has any ideas please keep the rest of us informed.