EvenBalance PB support for ET ended (and consequences)

Discussion Forum for Jaymod
Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Re: EvenBalance PB support for ET ended (and consequences)

Post by Pedro-NF » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 pm

hellreturn wrote:Off course you would get etkey from that place but most of the admins don't think this:

If player has no etkey then it's mostly new install. How would someone re install services or PB update without no support from PB? He will just find other server to play on.

End result: disable PB if you don't want to loose players and restart it on FLY with cheat scans to bust cheaters.

Best thing would be to have mod based GUID and use that.
There hasn't been any cheat research by EvenBalance in the last few years, and their "support" for ET was in practice nothing more than keeping the auth server online generating new etkeys (and occasionally releasing "maintenance" updates that just brought a lot of annoyances to everyone and no improvements). Most (if not all) ET cheaters are caught through the PBBans and PunksBusted checks. The PunkBuster server that runs locally on your server can work completely independent from the EvenBalance servers, and it's that local server that performs the checks provided by the anti-cheat communities, controls Cvar ranges, etc. To update PB for any OS and from any PB version to the latest version released, you can use the update files from EvenBalance (just put them in the PB directory) and the updates and services installation will happen automatically the next time you join a PB enabled server (see my post a few posts above). Or, download a fully updated PB folder from PBBans. All that new players need is to be made aware of where to get a key and the updates.
Last edited by Pedro-NF on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:45 pm

phantasm wrote:I'm sorry but this fix I linked to isn't working for me. It isn't downloading the update from my jaymod server to my computer when I removed my etkey and tried to connect. I saw it on another ET developer forum, and the guy who posted it said it worked.
That .pk3 file by Schnoog isn't supposed to download anything (except the .pk3 itself) from your server to players without etkeys or an outdated PunkBuster installation. It just serves to give players a hint on where to get an etkey and where to update PB.

If you meant that the .pk3 isn't making the hint message show, it might be that you have another .pk3 file that also changes the menus and/or the disconnect error message window which is being loaded after Schnoog's .pk3. Check the etconsole.log file for the order in which the .pk3 files are being loaded by your server, including which directories are read first. You might have to change the name of some of the .pk3 files or move them from jaymod to etmain (or vice-versa) so that Schnoog's loads last. I remember when I switched from a host that ran on Linux to one that ran on Windows that the Windows host loaded the files in reverse alphabetic order (like from Z to A), while the Linux host loaded them in alphabetical order.

tjimboo
Panzer n00b

Post by tjimboo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 pm

for a guy knowing so much about pk3 pedro u should know that ur _nf_pack_20110511.pk3 blockes the redirect feature of et and other things :!:

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 am

tjimboo wrote:for a guy knowing so much about pk3 pedro u should know that ur _nf_pack_20110511.pk3 blockes the redirect feature of et and other things :!:
Can you be more specific? All my custom .pk3 does is to add 2 buttons to the main menu ("Connect to the [>NF<] server" and "Visit the [>NF<] forums"). I personally don't like this, but removing it = handing players over to other servers with their own custom menus and redirects, who implemented this type of thing YEARS before I finally gave in and did the same. If by "blocks the redirect feature of ET and other things" you meant that customizations implemented by other pk3 files get overriden by my custom pk3 file, that was the exact intention of everyone who added these customizations to their servers.

By the way, nice trick using a server facade to make it appear to GameTracker etc. that there are at least 26 players with non zero pings connected all the time... Won't work with the new Splatterladder server list though.

tjimboo
Panzer n00b

Post by tjimboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:15 am

with ur pk3 installed the redirect feature when server is full dont work. also some other bugs that makes et crash.

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:32 am

tjimboo wrote:with ur pk3 installed the redirect feature when server is full dont work. also some other bugs that makes et crash.
Yes, like all custom pk3 files with redirections to sites, it changes the value of the game's ui_finalURL variable, which may override the behavior of the sv_fullmsg Cvar where you set the IP:port to redirect to in case of a full server. Now about making ET crash, that's more likely to be your recompiled ETDED.exe, or your modified jaymod-20080125-2.1.8_DRiv1.pk3, or your server facade, or one of the don't-know-how-many custom pk3 files people need to download from your server when they connect, not to mention having to download the 14 MB of the "DRi version" of the Jailbus map even when the server isn't running that map. Just delete my pk3, don't come back to the [>NF<] Server because you're not welcome there, and try not to go off topic again (can you read this topic's title?).
Last edited by Pedro-NF on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

tjimboo
Panzer n00b

Post by tjimboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:34 am

ok kid nice to know and u real reason know its cause u suck that u dont want me there.. Feel the pain!

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 am

Pedro-NF wrote:
phantasm wrote:I'm sorry but this fix I linked to isn't working for me. It isn't downloading the update from my jaymod server to my computer when I removed my etkey and tried to connect. I saw it on another ET developer forum, and the guy who posted it said it worked.
That .pk3 file by Schnoog isn't supposed to download anything (except the .pk3 itself) from your server to players without etkeys or an outdated PunkBuster installation. It just serves to give players a hint on where to get an etkey and where to update PB.

If you meant that the .pk3 isn't making the hint message show, it might be that you have another .pk3 file that also changes the menus and/or the disconnect error message window which is being loaded after Schnoog's .pk3. Check the etconsole.log file for the order in which the .pk3 files are being loaded by your server, including which directories are read first. You might have to change the name of some of the .pk3 files or move them from jaymod to etmain (or vice-versa) so that Schnoog's loads last. I remember when I switched from a host that ran on Linux to one that ran on Windows that the Windows host loaded the files in reverse alphabetic order (like from Z to A), while the Linux host loaded them in alphabetical order.
I tried it on a server with a few modified pk3s (vsays and a menu and enhmod) first. It just gave me the standard message when I tried to connect without an etkey.

Then I tried it on an empty jaymod server that was running clean unmodified jaymod-2.2.0, and it did not work. Idropped it in the etmain folder, and the jaymod folder, and restarted it a couple times. It just shows the standard message.

Then I removed jaymod-2.2.0 and installed jaymod-2.1.7 thinking maybe a rollback would help, but it gave me the standard message.

I understand the intent of the pk3, but it doesn't do anything if you can't make a connection in the first place.

tjimboo
Panzer n00b

Post by tjimboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 am

The way we implement it is that we will provide a quid from our server upon connection and sign that with our private key. Its only good for our server but its a way you could do it.

other way is to check enhanced mod. At his webpage it says:
Enhanced Mod V1.09 Secure in progress, basically forces a hardware based unique guid and replaces the etkey guid. (actually restricted handout for test purpose)
dont know how far that work is in progress but might be a option. Having a etkey generator dont solve anything according to me if its not in game.

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:42 pm

phantasm wrote:I tried it on a server with a few modified pk3s (vsays and a menu and enhmod) first. It just gave me the standard message when I tried to connect without an etkey.

Then I tried it on an empty jaymod server that was running clean unmodified jaymod-2.2.0, and it did not work. Idropped it in the etmain folder, and the jaymod folder, and restarted it a couple times. It just shows the standard message.

Then I removed jaymod-2.2.0 and installed jaymod-2.1.7 thinking maybe a rollback would help, but it gave me the standard message.

I understand the intent of the pk3, but it doesn't do anything if you can't make a connection in the first place.
Confirmed it here. The .pk3 won't download if you don't already have an etkey, no matter where you put it. I made my tests on a Windows host, maybe on a Linux host things may happen differently.

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 pm

tjimboo wrote:The way we implement it is that we will provide a quid from our server upon connection and sign that with our private key. Its only good for our server but its a way you could do it.

other way is to check enhanced mod. At his webpage it says:
Enhanced Mod V1.09 Secure in progress, basically forces a hardware based unique guid and replaces the etkey guid. (actually restricted handout for test purpose)
dont know how far that work is in progress but might be a option. Having a etkey generator dont solve anything according to me if its not in game.
Yep, I hate to say it but I think our Deutsch friend may be more helpful here. He hasn't updated enhmod since May of this year on his little website, but maybe he has this new version with a new guid ready.

I am going to email him right now. Wish me luck. I will offer him money and chocolate (I hear they like chocolate).

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 am

I'd rather see a solution that is not bound to Enhanced Mod.
Being into that sort of stuff, too, I highly respect his work, but it just doesn't really fit with my understanding of a proper fix.

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 am

phantasm wrote:Yep, I hate to say it but I think our Deutsch friend may be more helpful here. He hasn't updated enhmod since May of this year on his little website, but maybe he has this new version with a new guid ready.
Without RedSector's support Jaymod community would be almost dead nowadays :roll:

panthro
Server n00b

Post by panthro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:00 pm

phantasm wrote:Yep, I hate to say it but I think our Deutsch friend may be more helpful here. He hasn't updated enhmod since May of this year on his little website, but maybe he has this new version with a new guid ready.

I am going to email him right now. Wish me luck. I will offer him money and chocolate (I hear they like chocolate).
I send him a shirt of the Brazilian soccer team, signed by PELE
or does he like basketball? :shock:

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Well it has been almost a week and he has not replied.

So I think that is a missed opportunity to contribute something really important to the ET community.

Maybe someone else who has this "hardware-guid" version of enhmod would be willing to share it with everyone.

Otherwise we have a bad situation. There are hundreds of servers on the master list that will block new players now without etkeys. So they will try a few servers, get told they cannot play, and then quit trying to play ET.