EvenBalance PB support for ET ended (and consequences)

Discussion Forum for Jaymod
tjimboo
Panzer n00b

Re: EvenBalance PB support for ET ended (and consequences)

Post by tjimboo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:28 am

still best to implement in the etded then u can assign guid urself. cant be used with pb though as pb dont allow changed etded. so cant have the cookie and eat it i guess. But at the darkside we got cookies :)

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:03 am

phantasm wrote:Maybe someone else who has this "hardware-guid" version of enhmod would be willing to share it with everyone.

Otherwise we have a bad situation. There are hundreds of servers on the master list that will block new players now without etkeys. So they will try a few servers, get told they cannot play, and then quit trying to play ET.
This new enhmod has nothing to do with kicking players with no GUID.

Daredevil is the one who has this build and as he said:
More or less, even in that build it has no GUID protection so it will still kick players having no GUID.

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Dragon wrote:
Daredevil is the one who has this build and as he said:
More or less, even in that build it has no GUID protection so it will still kick players having no GUID.
OK, well it was worth asking. Obviously I don't know what it does if I don't have it.

Dare has told me he is not releasing it, since it was given to him privately by Redsector.

I loved this mod, I learned a lot from setting up Jaymod on real servers. I didn't know anything about ET (I thought I did lol) until I started studying Jaymod intensely.

So thanks Dare and Jaybird for the education.

jaybird
Jaymod Developer

Post by jaybird » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:15 am

So what are some of your (all of you) ideas on how to generate a unique hardware id that is not trivial to bypass?

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:22 am

Every single file saved on user's PC is hackable as I heard :)

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:41 pm

jaybird wrote:So what are some of your (all of you) ideas on how to generate a unique hardware id that is not trivial to bypass?
Splash Damage's Community Relations Manager badman posted on the Splash Damage forums:

"Just to let you know, we're looking into a few possible solutions to address the lack of unique guids in Wolf. It's still early days at the moment, but as soon as we have something workable, we'll alert the internet."

So, for now, I would hold off on making any GUID related implementations to Jaymod and other mods until we see what they will come up with, to avoid making changes to the mod's code that might conflict with the changes they will make.

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:58 am

jaybird wrote:So what are some of your (all of you) ideas on how to generate a unique hardware id that is not trivial to bypass?
I'm not too much into that sort of things, but i guess something based on public/private keys should do the trick.

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:59 am

Pedro-NF wrote:Splash Damage's Community Relations Manager badman posted on the Splash Damage forums:

"Just to let you know, we're looking into a few possible solutions to address the lack of unique guids in Wolf. It's still early days at the moment, but as soon as we have something workable, we'll alert the internet."
And what can they do without working PB auth server? New patch, 2.61? It's all in the modders' hands since SD can do nothing useful ATM...

Pedro-NF
Spawn Camper

Post by Pedro-NF » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:32 am

Dragon wrote:
Pedro-NF wrote:Splash Damage's Community Relations Manager badman posted on the Splash Damage forums:

And what can they do without working PB auth server? New patch, 2.61? It's all in the modders' hands since SD can do nothing useful ATM...
You must know better than the game's devs. Do you think that f*****g UNEvenBalance was even a little bit worried about generating unique GUID's for ET in the last years? I say they stopped giving a damn long ago. And yes, Splash Damage may come up with a new patch, who knows? Anyways, like I said, no mod developers should be making any GUID related implementations before SD announces what they are going to do. If you (or anyone else) are unable to understand why, just keep re-reading my post and meditating about it - it might come to you eventually.

jaybird
Jaymod Developer

Post by jaybird » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

Public/private key couldn't work. That setup is to establish trust between two trustworthy parties. In ET's case, the client can not be trusted at all and there is no authority. The best system is to generate an id keyed off of a license key, but ET's free and doesn't have one. The only thing you can use to identify a client is something that has worth, and hardware fits the bill. If someone gets banned, how eager do you think they'll be to go switch out their motherboard?

It'll be potentially interesting to see what SD comes up with. I don't have much hope with them though.

muppetuk
Server n00b

Post by muppetuk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Ive been trying to figure a way to make a guid like this here

and instead of saving the etkey - the key would be generated each time you connect to a server and overwrites the existing key

now if only i knew someone that was awesome at mods :mrgreen:

jaybird
Jaymod Developer

Post by jaybird » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:59 pm

If the key changed every time how would you maintain bans?

muppetuk
Server n00b

Post by muppetuk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:23 pm

It would always be the same guid .. it would add it each time to stop people from changing it

BubbaG1
Panzer n00b

Post by BubbaG1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:05 pm

muppetuk wrote:Ive been trying to figure a way to make a guid like this here

and instead of saving the etkey - the key would be generated each time you connect to a server and overwrites the existing key

now if only i knew someone that was awesome at mods :mrgreen:
I can see that link as a viable process for a clan admin, though still need the ability to generate and maintain the "etkey" for first time connections and non-admins. I have read a couple docs on creating a UUID based on existing hardware seeded by the current date/time. That makes the key unique, though does not prevent spoofing, etc... The addition of the "private" key mentioned in the link could make sense for a user that wants to become a regular and would be willing to go through a little extra pain to secure their GUID.

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:01 pm

jaybird wrote:Public/private key couldn't work. That setup is to establish trust between two trustworthy parties. In ET's case, the client can not be trusted at all and there is no authority
Then I don't see why anyone would use public/private keys.
I thought it might work like this: the client sends his public key to the server, the server will send a challenge to the client that can only be solved with the private key. The server can then "deduce" the GUID from the public key.

Anything wrong with my idea? (I'm really not sure, I just read something like that)