Slow Rate

Discussion Forum for Jaymod
Avery
Server n00b

Slow Rate

Post by Avery » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:34 pm

I am having issues with players downloading at a slow rate. Some taking 20 minutes just to upload a map. I had initially thought maybe it was a client side issue, but when 3 people are having the same issue, it seems as if it is a server-side issue. What should I be looking for to fix on this? What config files, cvars, etc.?

BubbaG1
Panzer n00b

Re: Slow Rate

Post by BubbaG1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 am

I believe this is what you are looking for:

Code: Select all

set sv_dl_maxRate "50000"                       //sv_dl_maxRate sets the max rate in bytes/s for direct client downloads.
set sv_allowDownload 1                                    //enables or disables direct client downloads from server.
set sv_wwwDownload "1"                                  //HTTP downloads. If enabled takes precedence over sv_allowDownload(cvar).
set sv_wwwBaseURL "http://your_dl_location"      //sets the URL download prefix for server files which the client uses to download pk3 files
set sv_wwwDlDisconnected  "1"                         //enables or disables client disconection from server while downloading. This disconnects a client from game server to free up slots while download is in progress
set sv_wwwFallbackURL "http://your_dl_location"  //Clients will attempt to open the page specified by URL upon failing a download
Make sure you have the proper settings there and report back any issues. Enjoy!

Avery
Server n00b

Post by Avery » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks Boobies! I mean Bubba. We got it set to a download server and all was good again. It was mainly because players were trying to download while connecting to the server..

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a n00b question here: the sv_dl_maxrate is set to 42000 by default, but is there an upper limit?

It would be nice to just set it to 500,000 or some really high number, and let players download maps and pk3s as fast as their own internet would allow them. Since it is the redirect it shouldn't affect the game server. Does anyone do this or have tried it?

phantasm
Server n00b

Post by phantasm » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:24 pm

OK, answered my own question with a bit of searching.

42000 seems to equal 13 kb/sec (not sure how the math works but that is what several sites said). So this is obviously just the ET server, not the redirect (which most people use), so this cvar has no effect on a redirect server, so it is irrelevant.

So never mind my question lol.

Avery
Server n00b

Post by Avery » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 pm

In other words, keep it set at 42,000?

Dragon
Panzer n00b

Post by Dragon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:54 am

phantasm wrote:I have a n00b question here: the sv_dl_maxrate is set to 42000 by default, but is there an upper limit?

It would be nice to just set it to 500,000 or some really high number, and let players download maps and pk3s as fast as their own internet would allow them. Since it is the redirect it shouldn't affect the game server. Does anyone do this or have tried it?
AFAIK sv_dl_maxrate is used only when Fast DL server is not used, so you don't even have to change it if clients aren't forced to download directly from a game server.