SQL / MySQL

Post ideas and/or requests for future releases.
Indigo
Server n00b

SQL / MySQL

Post by Indigo » Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 am

Hai.

I'm running a few different game servers on a rented dedicated box hosted in Chicago throughout the past years.
And since i recently remembered the fun i had playing ET with Jaymod, i thought i'd setup a ET server on said box.

Many of the other games i host offer MySQL support, to save player stats and information, even bans are being managed through MySQL tables.

So i thought, this would make a nice feature for Jaymod, too.
The user.db info could be stored into SQL tables, and thus would be much more configurable than the current plain text file is.
And even better, a game server crash (yes that happens) will not result in the loss of data anymore, since all data is stored "outside" the server process, into MySQL.

Server operators/owners like me then could easily edit ban records, or even their Admin tables + groups.

Another benefit would be, the MySQL tables can be easily queried outside of the game, giving Admins and server owners/operators the opportunity of editing their bans and stuffs through a php based web interface for instance.

And finally a set of in-game commands to alter SQL entries, like exp levels or even admin levels and groups, stored in a SQL table.

Plus, I think it's a good practice for you devs here, to get into MySQL. (Unless you already know sql coding interfaces)
Well, it's a challenge at least, and you and we all would benefit from it :)

So. What you jaymod devs saying? Bad idea? Good idea? Interesting suggestion and worth taking the challenge? :D

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Re: SQL / MySQL

Post by Ligustah » Mon May 16, 2011 7:44 am

If i am not mistaken Jaybird mentioned rewriting the database code so it would be based on SQLite.

Here you go: http://jaymod.clanfu.org/forums/viewtop ... ite#p41265

Indigo
Server n00b

Post by Indigo » Mon May 16, 2011 8:48 am

Oh ok, well that would go into my direction.

However, experience as server owner has showed throughout the past, that SQLite is crap, and MySQL works like a charm.

MySQL queries are much faster, and it runs way more stable, and accessing databases+altering tables is much more convenient and stable.
On my other game servers, we even went and re-coded huge parts of some mods we're running, and ported them from SQLite to MySQL, because of those reasons.

So perhaps Jaybird might want to re-think about using SQLite and go for MySQL instead :)

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Mon May 16, 2011 11:27 am

It certainly depends on the dimensions. For average server administrators MySQL is overkill and a waste of resources.
I see the advantage of MySQL though, since i'm running >8 servers myself. And now, that i think about it most servers are hosted by public game server hosts anyways, for those it might be better
to set up a central MySQL database.

Ahw, anyways. Either way, MySQL is extreme overkill for single servers. And for the data size used by one server SQLite should work and scale perfectly fine.

My two cents :P

jaybird
Jaymod Developer

Post by jaybird » Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 am

Jaymod could never use MySQL. The client library is GPL'ed.

Ligustah
Panzer n00b

Post by Ligustah » Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Drizzle might be worth a look. If i am not mistaken it was released under a simplified BSD license.
https://launchpad.net/libdrizzle